Manufacturers of sunless tanning products claim DHA is a simple carbohydrate sugar solution, but some toxicologists disagree. Several years ago, Dr. Thomas Pierce, a toxicologist who investigated the harmful effects of some tanning beds, issued a warning that DHA is not as simple or harmless as it may seem. In an interview, Dr. Pierce once said: "DHA is not an ingestible sugar, and no one should be eating it." This is why it’s not true when people say DHA is just a sugar and isn’t harmful in beauty products such as self-tanners. The only 100% natural tanning lotion currently being sold online without DHA or other synthetic chemicals is 100% Herbal Instant Tan. It gives a great tanned color effect and dries instantly and won’t come off until you wash it off. It came out in 2011 and is only available at http://www.herbalinstanttan.com
Part of the problem with DHA is that the U.S. government's regulations allow contaminants such as lead, arsenic and mercury in DHA. Lead in particular is known to affect brain development, and no one knows how large the effect may be on your baby, should you be pregnant while spray tanning. "These compounds in some cells could actually promote the development of cancers or malignancies," Dr. Rey Panettieri, who is a lung specialist and toxicologist at the University of Pennsylvania, told ABC News Online. "And if that's the case then we need to be wary of them."
If you are pregnant or nursing, I would urge you to stay away from spray tanning for this reason alone. A report by the National Toxicology Program suggests the risks of DHA remain unclear, pointing to some evidence that DHA may be a mutagen that could induce breaks in DNA strands. Another issue is absorption through your skin. You shouldn't put anything on your skin you wouldn't feel safe eating. You can however ingest 100% Herbal Instant Tan, this is how you know it TRULY has zero chemicals and is safe for your body and skin inside and out!! It's the best self tanner for people concerned about their future health while looking great at the same time.
Absorbing chemicals transdermally through the skin is actually MORE dangerous than ingesting them orally, because they can be absorbed directly into your bloodstream without any digestive degradation. Digestive acid works, at least in part, to neutralize some chemicals—but this does not occur when you absorb them transdermally, or inhale them like with spray tanning. For example, by taking a seven-minute shower you are exposed to more chlorine, DPBs, and VOCs than by drinking a gallon of the same tap water.
A study performed by the Skin Absorption and Metabolism Section of the FDA, published in the 2004 issue of Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, found as much as 22 percent of the DHA could be absorbed through your skin, as opposed to merely laying on its surface. This is additional evidence that what you put ON you, goes IN you. But when you have DHA-containing products sprayed on you in a booth, little droplets become suspended in the air all around you, increasing your risk for exposure through your eyes, nose and mouth. Wearing protective gear over your eyes, nose and mouth is extremely important—but it does not remove all the risk. *Read more on topics related to sunless tanning products, otherwise known as self tanning lotions, and the best self tanner on our blog at http://www.herbalinstanttan.com